Friday, August 2, 2013

Otter with a shell

A friend, who loves Otters, called me up with some brilliant news recently and I wanted to make them a present to celebrate the brilliant news so asked them to choose a pattern of an otter from Pinterest and I would buy the pattern and make them an Amigurumi otter.
The pattern they chose was from etsy Crochet Otter Pattern and it was in Japanese, in symbols (which I had never done before) and came with a sheet in English on how to read and translate the Japanese pattern.
So I diligently purchased the pattern and translated it into the written form of patterns I was used to and created the otter according to the pattern. (In blue and white)
I thought it was cute but didn't think it looked quite right as it wasn't the correct colourings, so I redid another otter. It this time I tried to make it based on a picture of an otter I found on google images.
The picture showed they had a lighter mask area that flowed down to their tummy and that they had long whiskers.
So I did some calculations on how to include the different colour into the pattern and had a go. I also used some cotton to make some whiskers.
I'm unsure whether it was cuter being more realistic or following the pattern to a tee but it was a nice little challenge to set myself and my friend thinks they are both great. (I gave them both of the otters)
Also the pattern included a shell as food for the otter. That pattern may come in handy in the future too!

1 comment:

  1. If you are willing to make one and sell please e-mail me! Kristina.Pritchard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete